Sanskrit Name: Adho Mukha Svanasana
Type of Pose: Standing, Mild Inversion, Resting
Benefits: Stretches and strengthens the whole body. Can help relieve back pain, and improve posture
♦Lenthening: peronei, glutes, hamstrings, pectoralis major, soleus, latissumus dorsi, gastrocnemius
♦Shortening: deltoid, lower abdominals, triceps, tibialis anterior, rhomboids, quadriceps, extensor digitorum longus
♦Stabilizing: serratus anterior, rotator cuff muscles
1. On all fours, with knees slightly behind hips and hands under shoulders, curl toes under, lift knees up.
2. Hands shoulder width, entire rim of palm presses strongly into matt, first fingers parallel.
3. Feet hip width, heels stretch back and down towards mat.
4. Arms are straight, forearms lift, inner elbows facing each other.
5. Shoulder blades hug the back and move towards tailbone
6. Ears between biceps.
- Hands misaligned or cup
- Pelvis not neutral (too much arch or too much rounding)
- Wrists, shoulders and/or forearms collapse
- Head misaligned
- Wrist injury
- Elbow injury
- Shoulder injury
- High Blood pressure