In the past year I went back to school again. For those who know me well this isn’t any surprizing. I have now accumulated over 10 years of post secondary educations from counselling, athletics and fitness, health science, Chinese Medicine and acupuncture and now Osteopathy
This manual medicine caught my attention and stole my heart. The more I learn about osteopathy the more excited I am to implement this into my practice of Chinese Medicine and acupuncture.
While there are quite a few practitioners in Squamish who implement one of osteopathy modalities into their own practice such as cranial sacral, visceral manipulation or muscle energy techniques, many do not know that these modalities come from Osteopathy and do not know what osteopathy is.
Osteopathy is a form of drug-free non-invasive manual medicine that focuses on whole body health by treating and strengthens the musculoskeletal framework that includes the joints, muscles and spine. Osteopathy positively affects the body by affecting the nervous system; circulatory system and lymphatic system bring the body back to homeostasis.
History of Osteopathy?
Dr. Andrew Taylor Still is the founder of Osteopathy. He established the principles and techniques of Osteopathy and founded the first school of osteopathy in the 1892 in the United States of America. Dr. Stills designed the manual techniques to improve circulation, correct altered biomechanics without the use of medication.
Osteopathy can treat a wide variety of conditions.
Pain and Injury
- Soft tissue and muscular pain
- Joint pain
- Whiplash, sprains and stains
- Spine and posture problems
- Sports injuries
- Headaches and migraines
- Concussions and post concussion syndrome
Relation and overall wellness
- Many patients find osteopathy treatments relating
Pregnancy and baby
- Posture changes as your body does though the changes of pregnancy. The shit in weight distribution can cause new aches and pain in the body. Osteopathy can help treat these symptoms and is safe for the baby.
- Mother and Baby osteopathy can treat conditions that may arise after delivery and help strengthen the bond between mother and baby.
Chronic conditions long-term illness
- Improves digestive system, lymphatic system, circulation system and nervous system
- Improves sleeping
- Improves fatigue
- Bring homeostatic and promote healing of the whole body