Please see below for links on studies and research references
1. How might acupuncture work? A systematic review of physiologic rationales from clinical trials. 2006 Moffet, H.H.. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 6:25
2. FMRI connectivity analysis of acupuncture effects on an amygdala-associated brain network. Liu, Y. et al. 2008. Molecular Pain, 4:55.
3. Do Chil Lee, Myung O. Lee, Donald Clifford, Lucien Morris. The Autonomic Effects of Acupuncture and Analgesic Drugs on the Cardiovascular System. Medical College of Ohio. Am. J. Acupuncture 22(1):5-14. 1994
4. S. Andersson. Physiological Mechanisms in Acupuncture. in Acupuncture and Related Techniques in Physical Therapy. NY. Churchill Livingston,1997, pp.19-39
5. K.Toma , S.Walkowski, K.Metzler-Wilson, T.E. Wilson and others. Acupuncture attenuates exercise-induced increases in skin sympathetic nerve activity. Ohio Musculoskeletal and Neurological Institute,Ohio University, USA, Auton. Neuroscience,2011 Jul 5; 162 (1-2) 84-8
6. K. Toma, R Conatser, R.Gilders, F. Hagerman. The effects of acupuncture Needle Stimulation on Skeletal Muscle Activity and Performance. Department of Biological Sciences, Ohio University, USA, J. of Strength and Conditioning Research,1998, 253-257.
7. D. Erlich & Haber. Influence of Acupuncture on Physical Performance Capacity and Haemodynamic Parameters. Klinik fur Immer Medizin, University of Vienna, Department of Sport and Performance Medicine. Int J Sports Med, Vol 13, #6, PP.486-491, 1992.
8. Dhillon S. The acute effect of acupuncture on 20-km cycling performance. Department of Physical Therapy, U of A, Edmonton, Canada. Clin J Sport Med, 2008 Jan 18(1) 76-80
9.Kaada, Improvement of physical performance by transcutaneous nerve stimulation in athletes.
Laboratory of clinical Neurophysology,Rogaland Central Hospital, Norway. Acupuncture and electro-therapeutics Re., Int, J , 1984VOL.9,
10.S. Benner, K. Benner. Improved Performance in Endurance Sports through Avcupuncture. Sportverl Sportschad 2010:24:140-143
11. Itoh, K. et al. Effects of tender point acupuncture on delayed onset muscle soreness. Chinese Medicine 2008, 3:14,.
12. Lin et al. Effect of auricular acupuncture on heart rate, oxygen consumption and blood lactic acid for elite basketball athletes. American Journal of Chinese Medicine. 2011, 39:6 1131-8.
13. Ahmedov, S. Ergogenic effect of acupuncture in sport and exercise: A brief review. Journal and Strength and Conditioning Research. 2010,.24,5, page 1421-27.14.
14. Gentil et al. The effect of acupuncture and moxibustion on physical performance by sedentary subjects submitted to ergospirometric tests on the treadmill. 2005. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, vol 45, page 134-140.